1/2 cup dried red lentils, rinsed & drained
1, 15 oz. can of chickpeas, rinsed & drained
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup packed cilantro
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalepeno, de-seeded and finely chopped
1/2 small red onion, minced
1 red bell pepper, finely diced
1 large carrot, finely chopped or shredded
1/4 cup almond flour
For Pico Topping
1 large ripe mango, diced
1 ripe avocado, diced
1/2 small red onion, finely diced
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 tsp fresh lime juice
sea salt, to taste
1. To make mango avocado pico: Place all ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. Add salt to taste. Place in refrigerator until ready to serve.
2. Place a medium saucepan over medium high heat, add lentils and 1 1/2 cups of water; bring water to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to low and simmer lentils for about 10-15 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and lentils are very soft and a bit mushy. Drain any excess water and set aside.
3. Place the chickpeas, cooked lentils, garlic, cilantro, sea salt, cumin, and chili powder in a food processor and blend until the beans and lentils are very smooth.
4. Transfer mixture into large bowl. Stir in onion, jalapeno, red pepper, and carrot. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary. Add in almond flour a little at a time, and work into mixture with your hands. You want to be able to form patties, but you don’t want too much almond flour, or the burgers will fall apart. So use as much as you feel necessary. Because these burgers do not use an egg to bind them, you’ll have to firmly shape the patties but still keep them pretty thick so that they don’t easily fall apart. Divide into 6 equal portions and shape into thick patties with your hands.
5. Heat skillet over medium high heat; add in a 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil (sometimes I spray both sides of the burger with olive oil cooking spray too). Place a few burgers in at a time and cook for a few minutes on each side, or until golden brown and crisp. Repeat with remaining patties and continue to add olive oil as needed.
6. Place patties in lettuce and top with mango avocado pico! YUMMY 🙂