It’s almost New Years and I know it’s on your mind….FITNESS!
So instead of waiting until January to get started, here are reasons
why there is NO reason to wait!
Exercise is SO vital and everyone can do it in some way shape or form! You don’t have to be an athelete but you do need a good, positive attitude and just jump right in. If you have not exercised in a while, perhaps set a goal of 15 minutes 3 days a week. Then when you get that down, bump that weekly goal up a bit. You won’t regret it and here’s why:
1. Exercise reverses the effects of stress: Exercise boosts the levels of soothing brain chemicals such as serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine. Exercise may even work on a cellular level to reverse stress’s toll on your aging process – 23 forever? Works for me!
2. It lifts depression: Sustained sweat inducing activity can reduce symptoms of depression about as effectively as antidepressants.
3. It improves learning: Exercise increases the level of brain chemicals called ‘growth factors’ that help make new brain cells.
4. It builds self-esteem and improves body image: Even just seeing small improvement like running a faster mile or lifting more weight can improve these things.
5. It leaves you feeling euphoric: High intensity exercise leaves you with a feeling of euphoria. Euphoria is a feeling/state of happiness. Bursts of high intensity during your workout (like for 30 seconds) and then back to lower intensity until your next set, where you can hit another intensity burst – is highly beneficial.
6. It improves the quality of your sleep: Exercise helps you get to sleep more quickly, and improves the sleep quality as well.
7. We are better able to function: Exercise makes us stronger and our bodies more efficeint so things like lifting, carry in groceries, keepiing up with family or lifestyle activities are easier as well as you have the energy for it!
8. Anti-aging benefits: Exercise increases mitochondrial function which helps fight off toxins, free radicals and insulin resistance. High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) boosts the body’s production of Human Growth Hormone which addresses muscle loss and atrophy.
9. Numerous health benefits which are unseen to the human eye: Exercise lowers blood pressure, manages arthritis, lower risk of heart disease, diabetes and can even reverse pre-diabetes. It helps to build strong bones so we don’t fall, aids in weight loss, reduces risk of cancer, and relieves chronic pain.
You in? I certainly hope so!!