3/4 cup dry quinoa
1 1/2 cups water
1 (4 oz.) can diced green chiles
1 cup salsa (or diced tomatoes)
3/4 cup corn
3/4 cup black beans, rinsed, & drained
1/4 cup taco or enchilada sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1 pkt stevia (or 1/2 tbs honey) optional
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 cup reduced fat Mexican blend or chedder cheese, shredded
1/2 cup reduced fat Mexican blend or cheddar cheese, shredded
Optional: 1 lb lean ground turkey meat or beef
1. To make quinoa: Place water & quinoa in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low to simmer & cover & cook until all the water is absorbed (about 10 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside to let cool. (You will know quinoa is done when the grain appears soft and transluscent)
2. Cut the tops off the bell peppers, removing all the seeds as well.
3. In a medium bowl, mix together all of the ingredients for the filling, stirring until well combined. Dived the filling among the peppers evenly. Note: If you want to add lean ground meat, cook it off until it is browned, and add it to the mixture here.
4. Oven: Sprinkle 2 tbs of cheese over the top of each pepper and place into a baking dish. Bake in 400 degree preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until cheese melts on top, and pepper begin to soften.
5. Crockpot: Pour 1/4 cup water in the bottom of the slow cooker and place each pepper standing up in the bottom. Cover and cook 4 to 5 hours on low or 3 to 4 hours on high heat, or until the peppers begin to soften. Just before serving, sprinkle 2 tbs cheese over the top of each pepper, put the lid back on the crockpot, and cook until the cheese melts, which will only take about 5 minutes on hight heat. Enjoy!
4 servings (1 bell pepper per serving) | Calories per servings: 295 | Fat: 6 g | Carbs: 45 g | Fiber: 8 g | Sugar: 6 g | Protein: 16 g
6 servings (1 bell pepper per serving) | Calories per servings: 275 | Fat: 5 g | Carbs: 30 g | Fiber: 5 g | Sugar: 5 g | Protein: 28 g
Photo & Recipe Credit to DashingDish.com