Muffins are a quick easy breakfast or snack option. BUT, they are typically high in sugar and carbohydrates and not clean eating friendly. In fact, a blueberry muffin from Starbucks has 350 calories, 12 grams of fat, 55 grams of carbohydrates, and 29 grams of sugar – that’s 7 teaspoons of sugar! This cleaned up version of a traditional blueberry muffin is high in protein, and low in sugar and carbohydrates.
There are a few healthy swaps that make this a superior Look Good Naked approved muffin. First, there is no added sugar. Sweetness comes from applesauce and stevia. Second, the recipe uses almond flour over traditional flour reducing carbohydrates and adding heart healthy fat. Psyllium husk powder is a tasteless plant based fiber source that will help you obtain that flat belly in no time.
And the blueberries, oh the blueberries…if you want to reduce your risk of cancer and slow the aging process, eat these bad boys on a regular basis!
Whip up a batch of these muffins on a weekend and freeze them in sandwich bags for a quick weekday breakfast. Add a boiled egg and you have a breakfast that will give you energy all morning!
3 scoops vanilla protein powder
1-1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pure Stevia extract
2 egg whites
1-1/4 cups unsweetened apple sauce
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup blueberries
1/4 cup unsweetened Almond Milk
1 cup bob’s red mill almond flour
1/3 cup psyllium husk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place dry ingredients in a large bowl (almond flour, psyllium husk, protein powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt) Mix until combined.
3. In a smaller bowl, add wet ingredients (egg whites, apple sauce, almond milk, vanilla and stevia) Mix until well combined.
4. Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix until well combined, mix in blueberries.
5. Pour into a greased 12 cup muffin pan (or line with muffin cups), top each muffin with a couple more blueberries.
6. Bake for 20 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean.
Makes 12 servings
Calories: 108.24 | Total Fat: 4.74g | Carbohydrates: 8.02g | Protein: 8.92g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Fiber: 3.08g | Sugar: 8.92g