You eat them everyday. A little dollop here or a little dollop there but do you ever stop and think how bad they actually are for you? How processed they actually are?
Here is a list from hungryforchange.tv of the worst condiments for you.
1. Mayonnaise – This is loaded with fats and not the good kind of fats. With words like Xanthan Gum or Phosphoric Acid this is not something that should be put into your body.
To make your own: egg yolks, olive oil, vinegar or lemon juice, mustard, and a little sea salt.
2. Sour Cream – There are a lot of fillers and perservatives in sour cream. “Not only that, but non-organic dairy products often contain dangerous genetically engineered bovine growth hormone, or rBGH. RBGH is the largest selling dairy animal drug in America. But it is banned in Canada, Japan, Australia, New Zealand and in the 27 countries of the European Union because of its risks to human health. IGF-1 in rBGH increases your risk for breast cancer by promoting conversion of normal breast tissue cells into cancerous ones.”
To make your own: use greek yogurt instead of sour cream. It tastes the same and is good for you.
3. Ranch and Blue Cheese Dressing – The ingredients in these dressings are not even food in fact: “typical processed ranch and blue cheese dressings are unnatural concoctions bearing little resemblance to food. Your digestive tract may not even recognize this as food, but instead react to it like a foreign invader, to be attacked like any other bodily threat.”
To make your own: make your own dressings, you can use greek yogurt as the base.
4. Ketchup – High Fructose Corn Syrup is the motherboard when it comes to ketchup. So instead of having ketchup and mustard on a burger you’re having mustard and sugar…yuck. “Just one tablespoon of commercially prepared ketchup typically contains four grams of sugar.”
To make you own: We like this recipe for natual homemade ketchup.
5. Barbeque Sauce and Steak Sauce – Just like all the other condiments listed above the ingredients are almost the same. BBQ Sauce the first ingredient on many lables is High Fructose Corn Syrup. I would love Titanium Dioxide, Red 40, and Hydrolyzed Corn on my steak…thanks.
To make you own: We have two BBQ recipes that you should try. First is a Paleo Recipe and Second is an Organic BBQ Sauce
For more information visit: http://www.hungryforchange.tv/article/hold-the-ketchup-5-toxic-condiments-to-avoid