1 large eggplant (wider than it is long)
1/2 cup of ground almonds (or almond flour)
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
Small handful of fresh basil (about 1/3 cup)
1 clove of garlic
1 large tomato
4 slices of mozzarella cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
Coconut oil for frying
1. Place ground almonds (or almond flour) in a medium mixing bowl, add your parmesan cheese and mix well.
2. Peel and slice your eggplant – try and get about 4 slices, which will make you two “sandwiches”.
3. Wisk your egg in a small bowl, finely chop your basil and garlic, and then add them to the wisked egg.
4. Core and slice your tomato to the desired thickness.
5. Dip your eggplant in the egg mixture followed by dragging it through the almond/parmesan mixture. Make sure it’s well coated – it will be a bit sticky. Do this for each eggplant slice.
6. Warm the skillet and fry your oil – then add the eggplant slices. Once browned, flip to the other side. This will take about 3-5 minutes per side on low to medium heat.
7. When your eggplants are nice and crispy, top *half* your eggplant with cheese slices, the egg mixture, and tomato slice.
8. To make a “sandwich”, place the remaining eggplant on top of the above cheesed slice.
9. Cover your skillet with a lid and let the cheese melt – add salt and pepper to taste!
Makes 4 servings
Calories: 233 | Carbs: 5.3 | Fiber: 2 g
Recipe & Photo Credit: MariaMindBodyHealth.com