It’s been cold here at LGN Headquarters in Minnesota. When I say cold, I mean like -20 degrees, that’s below zero, air temperature. The wind chills have been closer to -50 degrees, which means that’s what the temperature “feels like”, yikes! So, we have been trying everything we can to stay warm, including experimenting with new recipes.
Soups and stews become a staple for me during the winter. I love the fact that you can throw any sort of vegetable, herb, and meat together and it tastes fantastic. Soups can be a labor of love – a creative experiment. Those of you who don’t call yourself cooks, never fear! This recipe is so easy and can be pulled together rather quickly, using ingredients that you already have on hand. Feel free to go rouge and use any sort of vegetables and herbs you like or have on hand.
Tip: Buy pre-chopped onions, celery, and carrots at the grocery store for quick prep work. After sautéing the vegetables, and browning the meat, you can also throw everything into the crockpot to simmer on low for 7-8 hours.
1 lb. ground beef
2 Trader Joe’s Smoked Andouille Chicken Sausages
1 whole large onion, diced
2 stalks diced celery
3 cloves minced garlic
1 can diced tomatoes
3 cups beef broth
2 small sweet potatoes
1 cup frozen tri pepper mix (red, green and yellow)
1 cup whole carrots, peeled and sliced
1 small red potato cubed
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt (more To Taste)
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. fresh rosemary diced
2 tsp. fresh thyme
1 tsp. fresh oregano
1. Chop onion, carrots, celery, sweet potato, and potato.
2. Brown hamburger, add garlic and saute with onion, celery, and garlic in a stock pot.
3. Add the beef broth along with peppers, carrots, tomatoes and potatoes.
4. Chop the chicken sausage in bit sized quarters and add to stock pot.
5. Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender
6. Add herbs, salt and pepper to taste
7. Simmer for an additional 10 minutes, you can add water or more beef stock if more liquid is needed.
Makes 8 servings
Calories: 242.54 | Total Fat: 9.54g | Carbohydrates: 13.28g | Protein: 23.67g | Cholesterol: 66.94mg | Fiber: 2.41g | Sugar: 3.88g